This year my New Years Resolution is to be happy or happier. This year has been a great year. Yes with lots of minor hiccups and a few rough days. But I have decided that it could have been better. There is a talk that was given by a member of the first presidency of the LDS church called Of Regrets and Resolutions by President Uchtorf. It was a fantastic talk. He talks about how when in the last years of our life or even when we're older we seem to always have regrets. Most are, I wish I would have lived up to my potential, and I wish I would have spent more time with family, and the last one he mentions is I wish I would have been happier. The last one is my regret of last year.
I have been blinded by pride for a really long time. I've let it get the best of me and many things have happened because of it. For those of you who don't know, which should be very few. Pride ruins relationships and crushes happiness. Now don't get me wrong, last year I was extremely happy. I was married to my best friend and we have a really wonderful year. Although when I was thinking about the whole year in general. I could have been a lot happier if I would have just let myself be happy instead of upset or angry.
Then in church this last sunday, a mom spoke in our ward about three things, she referred them to the ABC of choices. A was attitude, B was believe, C was Courage. She talked a lot about how we make choices every day and the first choice we make everyday is if we are going to be happy or not. It was a great talk, I think she could have spoke at general conference.
So if you cannot tell, my resolution for this year is not to lose weight or to get healthy, which should be mine. I'm far from healthy. It's to be happier and to let myself be happy.
President Uchtorf says in his talk, "Brothers and sisters, no matter our circumstances, no matter our challenges or trials, there is something in each day to embrace and cherish. There is something in each day that can bring gratitude and joy if only we will see and appreciate it."
We can be even happier than we are now! I don't know what your resolution is this year but don't let yourself at the end of this year have regrets of not being as happy as you should have, or not spending time with those you love. Enjoy the little things, those are what end up being the big things in the end! And don't let a little thing like pride ruin your happiness.
Cheers!
Liz
No comments:
Post a Comment